Partner With Qualified Domestic Abuse Lawyers Based in Smithtown, NY, and Serving Clients Across the Globe

Are you or someone you know a victim of domestic abuse? Our compassionate team of domestic abuse lawyers is here to provide the support and legal guidance you need. Located in Smithtown, NY, we serve clients not only locally but also extend our services to individuals across the globe. We understand the sensitive nature of domestic violence cases and are committed to helping survivors navigate the legal process while fighting for their rights.

Specializing in cases involving domestic violence, our dedicated lawyers offer their expertise in various areas, including domestic violence support, obtaining residence for victims under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), U nonimmigrant status (U Visa) for victims of qualifying crimes, the removal of conditions for conditional residents, and securing protective asylum for persecuted women.

Get Help if You’re an Immigrant Facing Domestic Abuse

Learn More About the Options That Are Available

There are a couple of tools that can help victims of domestic abuse in relation to immigration:

  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA): This act states that, should a non-resident have a spouse that is a) a citizen or legal resident of the United States, and b) is being abused by said spouse, they may fight to obtain residency without involving their partner.
  • U Nonimmigrant Status (U Visa): This type of visa is available for individuals who came to the United States and were abused in any way. Essentially, it can grant potential immigrants relief and protect them from being deported.
  • Removal of Conditions: Generally, if your spouse sponsored you for conditional residence, you would need their help to remain in the United States after the two-year period is over. However, if your spouse is abusive, then a family immigration lawyer can help get these conditions removed.

Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), if you are married to an American citizen or resident and experiencing abuse, you have the right to fight for residence for yourself without involving your spouse. Our domestic abuse attorneys have extensive knowledge of the legal intricacies surrounding VAWA cases and will guide you through the process with sensitivity and expertise.

For victims who have experienced abuse and are foreign nationals, the U nonimmigrant status (U Visa) provides a lifeline. If you came to the US and suffered any form of abuse, you may qualify for a U Visa, which grants relief and protection against deportation. Our domestic abuse lawyers will help you navigate the U Visa application process and ensure that your rights are protected.

We also understand the challenges faced by conditional residents whose spouses obtained a conditional residence. If you find yourself in a situation where your sponsoring spouse is unwilling to sign off or assist in the removal of conditions, our legal team is ready to support you. We will explore all available avenues to help you secure your permanent residency.

Speak to a Qualified Domestic Abuse Lawyer

Learn More Today

Work with an immigration attorney that can provide aid to victims of domestic abuse. Partner with our attorneys at the Law Offices of Judith C. Garcia to protect yourself. A lawyer from our team can provide you with more advice about things such as the Violence Against Women Act, as well as guide you through the immigration process. Our law office is based in Smithtown, NY, but can serve clients across the world.

Whether you need an immigration lawyer, a child abuse attorney, domestic abuse lawyerswork visa lawyers, or an adjustment of status lawyer, we can help. Call us today for a consultation. Allow us to help you with your domestic violence case or foreign asylum.


Partner with a qualified attorney who can assist with family-based immigration.

Family-Based Immigration

If you are facing potential deportation, then get defense from a qualified attorney.

Deportation Defense

Learn more about SJIS by contacting a qualified attorney today.

Special Juvenile Immigration Status (SJIS)

Obtain residency without getting an abusive partner involved by contacting us.

Violence Against Women

    Contact Us

    Reach out to our team today